Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Doha: Federer d. Davydenko perfect start to 2011


Federer needed about 80 minutes to record a 6-3, 6-4 victory at Khalifa Tennis Complex. Federer did not face a break point, winning 40-of-51 service points overall.
Davydenko saved 6-of-8 break points, but the second-seeded Swiss was too much in capturing his 67th career title. Federer also won this event in 2005 and 2006, and said he thought the victory was "huge" because Davydenko was playing at a high level.
"I was very happy with, from my side, I was almost flawless, and I was able to play offensive when I needed to, and when I wanted to it all worked out," Federer said. "So I'm really pleased with such a great final."
"Today he was tough. Really played fast," Davydenko said. "He gave me no chance on the return, and also he was returning good. His first serve was very good. My tennis is okay, really. I don't want to say I played bad today."
One of Davydenko's wins against Federer came in the semifinals here last year, though Federer went on to win the 2010 Australian Open