Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 7, 2011

Davydenko beats Nadal to reach Qatar Open final

Rafael Nadal was upset by Nikolay Davydenko 6-3, 6-2 in a Qatar Open semifinals.

Davydenko will play against Roger Federer for the title in Doha.

Moments before the start of the second set, Nadal called for medical assistance and said: “I don’t have my game; I feel much more tired.”

At 5-0 down in the second set, the Spaniard demonstrated his renowned fighting qualities as he saved two match points and recovered one of the service breaks. He earned four break point chances in the final game, but Davydenko held strong to seal victory


Davydenko leads the Spaniard 6-4 in head-to-head meetings on the ATP tour.

“I always play semis or quarters [against Federer], but the final I play always against Nadal. That was for me much easier to win. I don't know why. Now it's [a] different situation. I think it will be much tougher.” Said Davydenko.

“I think I have good chance,” acknowledged Davydenko. “Beating Top 10 players in tournaments, it's confidence coming back, and for sure it's helping me so much to come back. [My] tennis level is also coming and [so I’m] automatically coming on physically. Just only problem I am not a Top 16 seeded player. That's already a different situation. I can play against Nadal, Djokovic, or Federer already in the fourth round. I just need to see against who I play and how I play.”